River Seven, Yorkshire

Second outing with the French leader – moderate success


Well the relentless heat hasn’t exactly made things conducive to fishing, but I was getting stir-crazy so decided to head to the weir pool on the Seven to see if the thunderstorms last night had livened it up a bit. I reckoned my best chance of a fish was to use the French nymphing system again, and I was keen to try out a beefier coiled-nylon indicator that I’d made yesterday.

More thundery showers were forecast, so I made sure I was waterproofed up. Sure enough as I got out of the car and made my way to the river a deep rumble sounded from the heavens and large raindrops began to fall. I took cover under the metal bridge that takes the farmtrack over the river and started to tackle up. A fairly biblical storm came and went, but I remained reasonably dry. I heard a tractor approaching above me and accepted that as it passed it would shake water from the bridge and I might get a bit wet. What I hadn’t bargained for was the the tractor was pulling a trailer of fermented manure and as it trundled overhead I was spattered not with fresh rainwater but with liquefied cowshit. Tragic. (What’s the difference between tragedy and comedy? You slip on a bananaskin – that’s comedy; I slip on a bananaskin – that’s tragedy. Groucho Marx I think).

Anyhow, the river was even lower than I had feared. The weirpool was soupy with a surface like glass and only a piddling little stream of water was coming over the top:

I’d attached a 3mm tungsten-beaded hare’s ear (with a pink tag) on a jig hook to the point of the tippet and a fairly hairy peacock-bodied black spider to the dropper:

A few fish were rising and I prospected my way towards the deeper water. It’s hard work this French nymphing, having to hold the rod aloft makes your arm ache, and I am still far from confident at detecting takes. But I did get a twitch and struck into what turned out to be a not bad 10″ trout which had taken the dropper:

Ten or fifteen minutes later, with a few snags in between, I hit a smaller trout which this time had taken the point fly:

Another downpour then it all went dead. No fish rising, nothing (as far as I could tell) coming to the fly so I called it a day after about 90 minutes’ fishing. Not exactly a bagful, but given the conditions I’m happy enough with not blanking.

Only registered users can comment.

  1. Morning Simon
    Hope all well with you & yours.
    What is a coiled – nylon indicator?
    Is it the same thing a friend told be about the other day; wrap round a nail, boiling water and then into the freezer?
    I never use indicators but keen to try.
    Best wishes.

  2. Yeah, that’s the one Ken. I used 12lb line and wrapped it around a 4″ bolt, about 40 touching turns, securing each end with a cable tie. Boil five minutes and freeze overnight. I don’t use an indicator with standard fly fishing but with this type of fishing apparently they are a must.

Leave a Reply to Ken Foote Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.